Anti-discrimination policy with respect to recruitment & selection
The business operations of Stratego Projectondersteuning BV aim to offer job seekers equal job opportunities, regardless of their age, gender, civil status, sexual orientation, personal, political or religious beliefs, race, ethnic origin or nationality.
During the recruitment & selection procedures, all job seekers are treated equally and assessed solely based on job-related criteria.
The objective of this policy is to provide employees and third parties clarity and transparency about:
- How Stratego Projectondersteuning BV defines discrimination/discriminatory requests;
- The position of Stratego Projectondersteuning BV towards discrimination/discriminatory requests;
- Employee conduct:
- What is expected of employees during their work, and specifically work (in support of business operations) concerning recruitment & selection;
- Whom the employee can consult to discuss or report anything;
- Employer's responsibilities.
- Definition of discrimination
Discrimination is defined as making a direct or indirect distinction between people on the grounds of age, gender, civil status, sexual orientation, personal, political or religious beliefs, race, ethnic origin or nationality.
Discrimination expressly also includes honouring the client’s requests to distinguish between people during recruitment and selection based on criteria which are neither relevant nor required to fill the position.
- Stratego Projectondersteuning BV's viewpoint
- Stratego Projectondersteuning BV condemns every form of discrimination.
- Any requests from the client to include specific criteria will only be honoured if there is objective justification for such.
- Objective justification is permitted if selection based on the requested criteria:
Stratego Projectondersteuning BV will not tolerate discrimination by any third parties against the employees. In this respect, 'employees' includes employees working under the direction and supervision of a hirer.
- serves a legitimate aim. This means that during recruitment & selection there must be a legitimate job-related reason to select based on the criteria concerned (one example of a legitimate aim is safety);
- results in the achievement of the legitimate aim; the means are suitable for achieving that aim;
- is reasonably proportionate to the aim; there is a relationship of proportionality to the aim;
- is necessary as there is no other, less discriminating means of achieving the goal; the necessity criterion is met.
- Employee conduct
- The employees are responsible for being alert to any requests of a discriminatory nature stipulated by the client, to recognise any requests as such, and to ensure that no such requests are honoured.
- Should an employee be in any doubt as to the existence of an objective justification in respect of a client’s request to take specific criteria into account during recruitment & selection, or have any questions about how to respond to any such request, the employee will be able to consult their immediate superior.
- Should an employee observe any form of discrimination and want to raise the matter, want to report any abuse or misconduct or be involved in a confidential case, the employee will be able to consult their immediate superior. If the employee is not satisfied with the result of this consultation, they will be able to consult the board.
- Employer's responsibilities
Stratego Projectondersteuning BV is responsible for:
- creating a safe working environment where people treat each other with respect, there is scope for constructive discussion, and undesirable behaviour, in whatever form, is prevented and addressed;
- the accessibility and implementation of this anti-discrimination policy. This shall include ensuring that the employees:
by (annually) informing hirers in a newsletter that Stratego Projectondersteuning BV conforms with this policy. Should such a situation occur in respect of a hirer, a tailored approach will be adopted (including written registration) which may in extreme cases lead to termination of the cooperation.
by ensuring that this policy is available on the Stratego Projectondersteuning BV website.
by evaluating and adjusting this policy.
- are informed about and familiar with the policy. This is achieved by holding an informative meeting and periodically discussing this subject during employee consultations (fixed agenda item).
- by being given clear instructions on how to recognise discrimination and discriminatory requests. This is achieved by holding an informative meeting and periodically discussing this subject during employee consultations (fixed agenda item). The handout provided by the NBBU will also be actively used, explained during the employee consultations and distributed by email.
- by being prepared for situations in which discriminatory requests are made, and knowing how to respond and turn the conversation with a client around. This is achieved by actively using the NBBU discrimination handout as guidance and discussing every case of discriminatory requests individually during the periodic consultations and by setting out and registering (in writing) an appropriate plan of approach. The organisation also intends to organise a training session focusing on this matter and the various conversation techniques.
This document was produced in collaboration with the NBBU.